Monday, April 18, 2005

Ah, I knew it would only be a few days before I found another assinine example of our legal system being out of control and our country sliding into a deeper social hole because of our culture of entitlement. Read part of this news story:


The parents of a Bennington College student who died after falling through the window of a campus building are considering taking legal action against the school.

Dennis Muzzi, the father of 20-year-old Kelly Muzzi, said that while the college didn't design the window to break, he wondered what the school could have done to prevent the fall.

Meanwhile, Assistant State Fire Marshall Michael Skaza said in a report about the accident issued on Friday that the school hadn't violated any building codes by not having safety glass installed in the window.

Muzzi said he and wife Andrea Thorne found little consolation in Skaza's report.

``Kelly got hurt and the school has some responsibility,'' he said. ``I'm sure in the future at some time there will be further action with this.''

Kelly Muzzi, of Troy, Mich., and Laura Jawitz, 19, of New Haven, Conn., had been rehearsing a dance in a studio at the college when a plate glass window they leaned on broke. The two women fell about 20 feet onto a brick patio.

Muzzi died from her injuries April 1. Jawitz was initially listed in critical condition, but she has since been released from the hospital.

During a visit to the school, Dennis Muzzi spoke with students and a professor who told him it was accepted practice for students to use the windows as though they were walls that could be leaned against.

Skaza's report said the school hadn't violated any building codes for the building, which opened in 1974.

Skaza said in his report that not until the late 1970s did building code regulators begin instituting requirements for safety glass in all areas that might reasonably be exposed to impact from people.


So let me get this straight. The college followed all legal building code rules. TWO girls pressed their bodies onto a large plate glass window (which I'm guessing is a total of at least 200 lbs of pressure), break it, and yet somehow it was not the girls' fault, but the schools. Someone explain this fucked up logic to me.

Look, it sucks hard that this girl died. It's very sad. But let's stop trying to look for scapegoats when an ACCIDENT happened. At best, the school can issue a ruling to students to not touch these windows to prevent another accident. But since these parents feel the school is at fault for what their ADULT daughter did and there is without a doubt some scumbag lawyer involved, the school is now going to have to spend money to fight a frivolous lawsuit.

A note to the parents: Nothing is going to bring back your daughter, even a multi-million dollar settlement.

1 Comments:

At 2:34 AM , Blogger miarose1983 said...

To Kelly's family and friends,

My name is Monique, i come from Quebec, Canada. let me tell you that i am so so very sorry about your daughter's death. I just read the article, and my heart goes to you all. In 1986, I lost one of my sister when i was in Africa with my husband and 2 children. My sister died in a car crash from a drunk driver. i was coming back from Africa when I heard the news from my mother, I was in Paris with my 2 kids...and believe me, the pain of losing her is very real, plus i arrived too late for the viewing and funeral..there is not a day I do not think about her.She had a daughter of 5 years old. Life is extremely cruel. When I see such young lives taken i hurt inside, and you are part of the people i hurt for. You are in my heard without forgetting Kelly, and i am sending you my prayers and my heartfelt thoughts. and for the ones who wrote these shameful comments, you will always have a bad Karma, hopefully. Hoping that one day , if you haven't already, you lose someone you love the most. Do you know what it is like losing a sister, daughter, you are the devil incarnated in your body. I wish you lots of pain, regrets for what you said, sorrows, for the rest of your lives..There is a fare God, who doesn't take only the bad people like you but also the extraordinary ones ( like Kelly ) into his loving arms.

And going back the the family and friends of Kelly, just to tell you she is still with you, in Spirit, love, she sends you smiles, and each time you think of her, she is there beside you all...I admire your courage...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home