Friday, December 19, 2003

So, this is pretty sweet. I've finally managed to create a space where I can vent my opinionated opinions of the world and tell the world what I think and why I'm right. Ha!

Well, it's Xmas time, and for me, it gets more depressing each year. Maybe it's because it's more fun when your a kid and don't have to worry about a damn thing. But as an adult, this holiday just gets shittier and shittier. Why? One word: shopping.

I'm convinced this country is going to hell in a handbasket. People are idiots. Xmas has turned into this cycle of buy buy buy and sale sale sale. Kids become monsters and think you don't love them if you don't get them "what they want" or don't buy them enough. Take for example, my trip to Kay B Toys last night. This little kid had to be no more than 4 or 5 years old. He had a death grip on a Buzz Lightyear doll and some other toy I couldn't see. This little bastard was SCREAMING, rolling on the floor, DEMANDING his daddy buy him these toys. How do kids become like that? I'm figuring it's because most parents don't spend any time with their kids, so the only way these little aliens feel loved is if they can get a ton of toys.

Now, this shit went on for a good 45 minutes. *I* wanted to throw the kid out of the store. And what does Mr. Responsible Parent do? "Oh, c'mon, now, Billy, Santa is coming next week. We can't buy both of them for you." BZZT!!!! Sorry, pal. Wrong answer. Instead of displaying to the world what a pushover of a parent you are, you should have picked him up, shed the toys, and walked out of the mall. This dickhead let this kid carry on for 45 minutes. No joke. I don't know who I wanted to slap more - him or the kid. I'm sure Billy pulls that stunt in every store they go to.

You know what I'm talking about, right? Of course you do. That's because this same scene plays out year after year. And it's sickening. Remember the latest trend of stores opening at 5 or 6 a.m. the day after Turkey Day this year? Every news station I watched that night showed hundreds of people pressed up against store doors waiting for them to open. Hello? Have we become that stupid? I guess so. People seem to think that just because something is on sale, they're smart by buying it. And you wonder why so many people are in debt.....

Anyway, this phenomenon seems to get worse each year. Maybe I'm just becoming more of a skeptic. But I don't think so. I'm quite sure our society wasn't hypnotized by consumerism like we are today 30 years ago. Then again, maybe this is good for me. Maybe I'll be one of the few who won't give in to this crap and be one of those who gets to buy all the houses of people who sink ever further into debt.

I registered a domain a few years ago: christmassucks.com. I let it die, because it wasn't worth paying for, especially since it's irrelevant most of the year. But what got me going was the fact that the malls (which I hate and hope to some day see them disappear) had Xmas decorations up in OCTOBER!!!!!! WTF is that about??? It would be nice if enough people would revolt and turn the tables on all the greedy retailers. You walk through Macy*s during the holidays and you wonder when the hell would end.....

Anyway, Merry Xmas. Let's see who won the spending derby next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home